Choose one of the following prompts to answer in a 4 page critical-analytical essay .Make sure you adhere to the questions the prompt asks you to consider in your analysis of the respective topic. Successful completion of the essay requires reference to the assigned readings/lecture topics as they correspond to the selected prompt; additionally, outside research is welcome, though not required, in order to better inform your analysis of the selected prompt.
You may want to first consult me about any topics not covered in the available prompts; I am available during office hrs and by appointment, or briefly before, during, and after class.
Although this is not a research paper, your essay must use a minimum of 3 sources in 5 footnotes (note: lectures do not count as sources). Failure to use footnote format will result in an automatic 1 grade reduction.
Your essay grade consists of two parts:
(1) Presentation: Spelling, grammar, and sentence structure all count toward your
(2) Substance: This includes the efficiency and strength of the analysis, quality of
use of sources, etc.
1. Publius put forth a theory of how the federal judiciary ought to respond in a state of emergency. Schmitt argued that in a state of emergency, the sovereign is he who decides the exception? Whose theory is more vindicated by Rasul v. Bush?
2. Publius put forth a theory of how the federal judiciary ought to respond in a state of emergency. Schmitt argued that in a state of emergency, the sovereign is he who decides the exception. Are these two theories of power at odds, and if so, how? If not, why not?
3. Whose concept of individual freedom is more accurate? Hobbes, Friedman, Marx, Rand, or neither? Why? (note: you must select exactly two thinkers)
4. Why is our present culture so infatuated with apocalypse? Or is this an inaccurate assertion? And if so, why? (Note: you must draw one of the following three to answer this prompt: Children of Men, Hobbes, Watchmen)
5. Which character in Watchmen best captures 21st century American politics?
Comments are closed.